Monday, November 24, 2008

The Evolution of Hair

No other head of hair has been through as much trauma as mine (and we are only talking color here, people. We are totally ignoring the huge tragedy that was the hair cut I received my sophomore year of college. I still shudder at the thought). It all started at my birth. Unfortunately, I was born with beautiful blond hair. I say unfortunately because no blond ever stays blond. All that happens to that blond is they get very attached to that lustrous, flaxen hair only to watch it slowly grow darker and darker, duller and duller. So, this born-blond-but-slowly turned into a mouse-brown-brunette really only has two options. Leave the boring brown color to slowly fade darker into the dreary void of dull, murky brownness or pay thousands of dollars to highlight said hair to a shimmery and bright blond. Of course, those of you who know me, know that I've chosen the second path, a path I've been trodding since I was 18 years old. I've had occasional forays into the world of brown but nothing's ever stuck. Well, it was getting to that time again, where I was frustrated with having the roots, where I was sick of constantly dying my hair and where I desperately wanted a change. And unwilling to take the unbeaten path of lackluster brown, I've forged a new path: a path of glossy, shining and exotic dark brown with a hint of red. To say that the change has left me a little bewildered (as in I have no idea who that crazy lady with a wig on is staring back at me in the mirror) would be an understatement. I am slowly adjusting to life as a brunette. Who knows how long it will last, but one thing I do know: blonds definitely do NOT have more fun.

Here's a photo highlighting my new do: (I don't seem to be highly photogenic. I think the haircut much more pleasing in person).

_______________________________
And now for Will's hair evolution. Remember this photo, taken when he was just a few days old? Look at ALL that hair!
Then, at two months he went through that sad balding phase (I didn't realize quite how bald he was until looking at pictures).
And then here he is at 9.5 months old. His hair was driving me BONKERS it was so VERY long, growing over the ears and the back of his shirts. So, we took matters into our own hands and cut off that hair.

(This picture doesn't do it justice--his hair was LONG).

Below: Getting his hair cut. We distracted him by feeding him goldfish. I freaked out a little when I saw all the hair fall to the ground. It made me sad to see all that beautiful red hair on the floor.

And the finished product: a hair cut by no means professionally done, but at least not as bushy long as before. Luckily, he's so crazy cute that anything looks good on this kid!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the brunette. You look gorgeous as always. The haircut is cute,too! Jess you are too funny:)
Did know you were a natural brunette. You fooled me! My hairstyle changes with the seaons.

I love William's haircut. I know what you mean by having to distract them.

Rosie Moncrief said...

Are you sure you're naturally brunette? I don't remember that at all!!!! Well you are looking HOT my friend, love it!! And baby Will looks so handsome!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

You both look hot. Its always fun to do something new!!!

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

I was shocked to see the new hair color. All I remember is blonde, blonde, blonde! The new color is awesome, but you look good no matter what you do?

Jon and Michelle said...

Jess, I love the hair. It's fun to change sometimes. Although I will worn you, your favorite clothing will look different now with your hair color. AND the colors you thought you couldn't wear with blonde now you can with brown. That's whats so fun about changing your hair, you have to go shopping for clothes... any excuse for that right?? We love you and miss you guys. I feel bad we won't be here to see you when you come next. Will is getting so big and cute! i love watching him grow because then I have a sneak peek of what Nixon will be into next! Love you guys!

bluestocking mama said...

i too have gone the brunette w/hint of red way of life. you look great!!

Emily said...

I love the color--it looks great! Will's cut is adorable as well.

Rindi said...

Cute, cute, cute! Hey, could you send me your address. I can't find it! rindi@netzero.net
Thanks so much.
-Rindi

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

We will for sure see you when you are here. Just name the day and the time and we will make it happen!!!!

Mikaela said...

Jessy - we have the same haircut and color now! But for some reason you seem to look so much cuter ...