Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving: A day late but not a dollar short.

Thanksgiving: a day in which we give thanks. Though this year we celebrated a day late, due to Nate's work schedule, it was still a day worthy of much praise. And this year I have much to give thanks for.

First off, I am thankful for FOOD. What a dreamy meal Thanksgiving is. This was our third annual Brothers Madsen Thanksgiving Feast and, if I do say so myself, we got it down--thanks to Martha Stewart. Turkey, brined in dry white wine, veggies and herbs: perfection. Stuffing, homemade with chestnuts: mouth-watering. Creamed-corn: it's creamed, what more need I say? We also had lots of other treats to make it just right: cranberry sauce, jello and homemade pies for dessert. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, mmm, m!

Secondly, I am thankful for FAMILY. This Thanksgiving consisted of spending time with some of my favorite people: Joshy, the best hubby ever; Willy, the baby-boy-to-be who loves all things made of sugar; Nate, Josh's older and more wiser brother; Amy, his wife who is very handy in the kitchen and Beth, their little Bean Girl who makes everything more entertaining.

And though the list could go on and on, lastly, I am thankful for CLOTHES, that is maternity clothes with a stretchy waste-band that allows you to eat to your hearts' content without feeling the strain of buttons or zippers. This year, it quite made my Thanksgiving. I think every year, regardless of my status, will be a maternity-pants-wearing event. Thank heaven for stretchy pants!
Josh cutting up the turkey. He makes a MEAN turkey. Nice work, Joshy!

More turkey-lurkey, as Beth would say. The table-setting, complete with the name cards that I insisted we make, thinking Beth would enjoy it, though Beth, at age three, didn't quite enjoy it as much as me, at age 28.
The participants in the Third Annual Brothers Madsen Thanksgiving Feast: Amy, Josh, Nate and Beth. Not pictured: Jessy and Baby Willy.

12 comments:

Christensen's said...

Why didn't you just put your face on a yardstick and put it in the picture....I hear it looks very realistic!

Rindi said...

That looks so fun! It was good to see Nate & Amy...I bet you guys had a great time. Are you naming your baby Willy? William? Will? Anyway, that's very cute!

The Pyper Fam said...

I love the new background, and love that the link for the backgrounds page was there too! I now can make my blog the cutest ever too! Looks like Thanksgiving was a blast! I do miss the maternity pants during times of feasting. I think it was Ben who had to finally pry them out of my clenched fists when Tucker was 3 months old and I ventured back into reality, but in my dreams...

The Pyper Fam said...

P.S. The shoes I got for him in NY are too big still and he just pulls them off. I would let him go without any, which is what he would prefer, but what would other mothers think? They would think that I was neglecting my child- so instead, I spend an extra 5-10 minutes a day jamming and squeezing his fat little feet into these shoes, that yes are WAY too small, but SO adorable. What other options do I have???

Matt & Emily said...

Hey Jessy! It's fun to see your blog! Congrats on the baby on his way! How fun. I love to see how fellow Spokanites are doing and I'm glad I'm not the only one away from home. Did you and Taraka go back for a 10 yr. reunion? Check us out. mattandemilysmith.blogspot.com

The Pyper Fam said...

So, I'm back at your blog for like the 3rd time today. (I'm doing Kaylas bridal shower invitations at our desk and every now and then need a break. So, I get on the computer, and just always end up at the madfam.)Anyway, I was looking at your pictures from Thanksgiving, and I miss you guys! I miss your cute house and hanging out in it! :)

Danalin said...

Are you kidding me?! I just saw that Emily posted a comment on your site...I know her from Ricks. I can't believe what a small world it is!!!

I have to say that I too am a lover of being pregnant for big meals. About a month ago I had an Olive Garden craving. We went and I stuffed myself so full. It was so nice to walk out of there with my stomach proudly protruding as opposed to feeling like I needed to suck it in a bit. :)

Looks like Thanksgiving was a hit and I love your name cards.

Matt & Emily said...

Hey, it's Emily again, and we live in Surprise, AZ. NW Phoenix. We love it here and the weather is so nice! And how the heck do you know Danalin Mann? I know that's not her last name anymore, but I can't remember what it is.

The Pyper Fam said...

Listen Jessy... I didn't start a blog so I could get harassed by the peanut gallery everyday. Yes, now I realize that I could have simply turned the pancake over and it would have been a 1, and I'm not sure why I didn't realize that until AFTER I posted my blog, but I didn't, so what??? :) and just so you know, Tucker got a new pair of shoes! so there. He is no longer a raggamuffin child.
Oh, and by the way, something even more strange in this small world. The other night when I found Emily Stephensens blog, I was looking to see who her friends were to see if I recognized anyone, and I saw the name of 'Dave and Kelly Orton' and I thought, no, that couldn't be the Dave Orton I dated at ricks who ended up marrying a girl named Kelly? AND... sure enough it was. So I had to check it out, And as I was scrolling through their friends to see if there was anyone I knew that maybe I had known at ricks, and I discovered your friend, Danalins, whose blog I have read a few times through you! Wierd huh!
Anyway, I'll talk to you later....I just knew that you would be happy to know that Tucker has new shoes! ...Its a birthday miracle!

jess said...

yeah for maternity clothes. i don't know if i'll ever totally give them up. is that illegal?
so excited for you guys and i wish i could see your cute belly in person. i guess i'll just have to settle for the blog:(

Ryan and Angela said...

Mmm. I want to eat with you guys next year. That turkey looks great. And what a cute little girl Beth is.

Kimberly said...

Looks like such a fun thanksgiving. I too was very thankful i could actually be well enough to enjoy the food!! And it was about the first meal i have cooked in months, it didn't dissapoint! Your place setting looks very nice, and is that table cloth the same fabric as your seats??? You crafty little thing.