Tuesday, December 11, 2007

That Bites.......

I have a little riddle for you. What's two-and-a-half feet tall, barely thirty pounds, cute as a button and has razor sharp teeth that can pierce through heavy denim? That's right, my friends, the answer: little Jackson Palmer. While babysitting some of our favorite people, Kaylee & Jackson, little Jackson, not quite two, snuck up behind Josh and feasted upon his inner thigh. Suddenly, when Josh felt a sharp pain in his leg, he screeched, only to turn around and find Jackson's jaws clamped down on his leg. Wrestling away from the sharp-toothed child, Josh was astounded that such a small thing could cause such pain. Josh quickly forgot about the incident, though, and the pain, until two days later when he was getting in the shower and I saw this over-sized, dark purple, oozing bruise on the back of his thigh. I asked Josh if he had gotten hit with a hockey puck at his last hockey scrimmage. He replied no and then asked why. I pointed out the bruise to him, to which he responded, "Jackson. Grrrrr." Yes, below you will find the damaging injury incurred from a two-year-old child and his death-like, jagged-tooth jaws.

The picture does not do the injury justice.

In reality, though, Jackson loves Josh. When the kids came over, the first thing Jackson said, with his limited vocabulary, was, "Josh, Josh, Josh." Since Josh wasn't home from work yet, we called Josh at work, so Jackson could say hi. Then when Josh came home, they were sooo excited. He chased them around in circles until they were a bundle full of giggles. This is just proof positive that Josh is going to be the best dad. All children prefer Josh to me and this is because, as his niece Beth says, "I like Josh. He plays fun games with me." The entire weekend that Beth was here, she and Josh played some bizarro skunk game that he made up (he even made up a song to go with it). When asked who her favorite uncle is, Beth's response is always, "Josh because he plays fun games with me." When asked who her favorite aunt is, it is always, "Kara. She makes me sandwiches" (Kara works at Blimpie and gives her free sandwiches. How can I compete with that?). I can't wait until our little Willy gets here, to see the bond that will surely form between my two boys. And, as will be inevitable, I am sure that Willy will prefer daddy to me because, after all, he'll play fun games with him.

6 comments:

The Pyper Fam said...

Ouch! That does bite! Its amazing to me sometimes how strong little childrens mouths are. Especially once they have teeth- there is nothing more painful. I AM missing a pair of shoes! I have been looking everywhere for those black church shoes of mine. Not that I don't have plenty more black church shoes, but obviously by the worn out toes, those are my favorite! They are so old though, this would probably be a good opportunity for a new pair! :) Ben can't complain to me for getting a new pair of shoes when I left a pair in New York, can he? :)
How was your Christmas program? I hope it went off without any hitches. Its so nice to have a friend in the YW, Primary AND activities comitte to help me with my ONE calling! :) Hope that bruise heals quickly!

The Pyper Fam said...

Ouch! That does bite! Its amazing to me sometimes how strong little childrens mouths are. Especially once they have teeth- there is nothing more painful. I AM missing a pair of shoes! I have been looking everywhere for those black church shoes of mine. Not that I don't have plenty more black church shoes, but obviously by the worn out toes, those are my favorite! They are so old though, this would probably be a good opportunity for a new pair! :) Ben can't complain to me for getting a new pair of shoes when I left a pair in New York, can he? :)
How was your Christmas program? I hope it went off without any hitches. Its so nice to have a friend in the YW, Primary AND activities comitte to help me with my ONE calling! :) Hope that bruise heals quickly!

The Pyper Fam said...

Ok, I accidentaly pushed the 'publish your comment' button twice! oops.

Megan said...

Give Josh our condolances, that looks painful. And by the way, all my kids.. ok maybe not Elayna but the older two definately like Reed more, not to mention he is hands down the favorite with nieces and nephews. What can I say? He's just more fun then me. I really have no chance at competing with the wrestle, hide and seek, sing silly songs guy. :) But that's ok... because when he's home they only want him and I get a break.

Kimberly said...

Oh my goodness. Josh really didn't seem too reactive when jackson bit him, i had no idea he got him that good! If only i had pictures of some of kaylee's wounds, the poor little thing gets the worst of it. She has a scar on shoulder from a weekend of two bites in a row in the same spot. The last time he bit her seth was trying to be very serious letting him know it wasn't allowed and he had a time out, which made kaylee start crying and when we asked why she said "i know jackson shouldnt bite, but i dont want daddy to be mad at him." What an angelic sister, haha.

Danalin said...

Oh my! I am just waiting for one of my babies to be a biter, but definitely not hoping for it! Max occasionally thinks it's funny to bite my shirt and every now and again when he gets overly excited by being tickled or is wresting with his dad, his little teeth clamp down on us...but mostly he hasn't been a biter. Way to take it, Josh! And, Jessy, all baby boys love their moms more. Okay, I don't really know that, but I do think there is some truth to it!?