Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oh, How I Love to Stand!

Yes, people, we are in some serious trouble, trouble right here in River City that starts with "T". Trouble because our little guy has learned to stand right on up. It all began in the bath tub one summer night whilst in a land called Spokane (it seems as though a lot of his new techniques have been acquired while bathing.....hmm). And some of the trouble this new skill has caused us:

  • Paper messes EVERYWHERE. He can grab books, files, scrapbook paper--you name it-- from every shelf in our office and he likes to EAT it. Yummy. (Right now he is eating Willa Cather's My Antonia. At least he has good taste).
  • More head-damage due to the falling backwards that accompanies said standing up.
  • Constant worrying over aforementioned head damage, so I now must watch him like a hawk to protect precious head from any more brain cell loss. (His brain's all he's got since we can't afford to send him to college, seeing as how we spent all our money on his conception).

At least, along with the trouble, this provides pure entertainment and diversion for all of us. His main goal in life is to search out the perfect ledge, crawl to it, pull up to standing position and then proceed to bang on said surface for hours on end.

Some of his favorite places to stand:

  • The book shelf in the office.
  • The shoe basket in the kitchen.
  • The shoe shelves in the closet (I'm sensing a trend).
  • The ottoman in the family room.
  • The couch in the family room.
  • The bath tub ledge (this one causes the most worrying since he slips and falls so very easily in the bathtub).

Of course, what would a post be without a picture? Here's the proof that the little one can stand:

Standing at the shoe basket. So, he loves shoes and feet (I guess he ought to since he slept the first month of his life in my shoe closet!). When we flew to Spokane, I put him down in the airport and he was soooo excited to be free that he just went a-crawling everywhere. I look over and, sure enough, he had crawled straight over to a guy wearing flip-flops, with his mouth agape, all ready to take a nice big juicy lick right on the unsuspecting man's toes. Luckily, I stopped him in time. Phew!
Look at the happy look on his face!
Below, he is at the troublesome bookshelf where he wreaks all sorts of havoc!
And here he is in the closet with all my beloved shoes. Like mother, like son, I guess. What better thing to love than shoes?

6 comments:

The Pyper Fam said...

Look at that big boy! :) I love the one of his huge smile as he throughly enjoys his standing time.(next to the shoes, of course!) I feel the need for another NY trip coming soon, your last trip here just wasn't enough for me. :)

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

I am so proud of him and so sad for you guys!!! Nothing is safe now. Even if you thin it is its not. And I mean nothing. Give him some love from me and Olivia. Oh and I have learned babies have really hard heads. Olivia should be brain dead by now. She also bangs her head on purpose which makes me want to bang mine cause it makes me crazy.

Rosie Moncrief said...

he just gets cuter!!! nothing wrong with loving shoes!!!!

The Pyper Fam said...

I just have to tell you that I just showed Tucker a picture of him from when he was a baby and I asked him who it was and he said 'Baby Whheel'!?

Ryan and Angela said...

He's standing already!! Are you sure he is old enough to be doing that? He is so cute.

The Jimmy Harry Family said...

What a little stud muffin. I love all the funny looks he gives, like, "What did I do?" or "Hee, hee, hee, these adults have no idea that I'm really drooling inside their shoes." He has the best faces!