Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down

Pixar has a darling little short film called Boundin' (on the extras of the film Incredibles) about a little sheep who has a coat of hair with the most remarkable sheen, but then one day a truck comes along, sheers the poor sheep and then dumps him back in his home in the middle of a rain storm. The down-trodden sheep is so very sad and in the dumps until a-bounding up the slope comes a great American jackal ope who has some very sound advice for the poor sheep: "Sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. When you find you're down, just look around and you'll bound, bound, bound and rebound." (And then, of course, a lot of jumping up and down ensues). Will loves this little film and I love it too because I love the message. Sometimes in life we're up and sometimes we're down but if we just look around we'll see it ain't all so bad and we'll bound, bound, bound and re-bound. And Monday was just a down, down day. And I needed a little boundin'. So I took Will to our favorite park on a beautiful, crisp fall day in NY and basked in the goodness that it is to be the mom of this energetic, funny, vibrant little boy. Then I went to the City Mission to serve dinner and recognized that I am so blessed, that I have so much. Then I came home to a clean, quiet house and snuggled with my hubby and read this talk with him from last General Conference that stated:
"If you have been wronged--by anyone (a family member, a friend, another member of the Church, a Church leader, a business associate) or by anything (The death of a loved one, health problems, a financial reversal, abuse, addictions)--deal with the matter directly and with all the strength you have. "Hold on the way"; giving up is not an option. And, without delay, turn to the Lord. Exercise all of the faith you have in Him. Let Him share your burden. Allow His grace to lighten your load. We are promised that we will "suffer no manner of afflictions, save it were swallowed up in the joy of Christ" (Alma 31:38). Never let an earthly circumstance disable you spiritually."

And I realized that I am not alone, that I am never alone. And that however it all turns out, it will all turn out right. And now I've bounded, bounded, bounded and re-bounded. Things are looking up again.
Now because no post is a good post without pictures, here are some photos of my boy at the "firetruck park".









How can you look at this photo and not be up?

3 comments:

Victoria Blanchard said...

I love boundin' too! Sorry things were down, but I'm glad you're back up. What park is that? We'll have to plan another playdate soon!

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

You are so inspirational! Thanks for the little pick me up! I am so amazed at how beautiful your surroundings are. I love the fire truck park!

Danalin said...

Love this post. Life would be so much less interesting if not for the downs that turn into ups. Glad you got back up! Kids tend to be very helpful with that (although they are sometimes 'helpful' in the getting down department too). :)