Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Dirty Little Secrets

I thought I'd air out some dirty laundry, for the sole purpose of your reading pleasure (Jon go ahead and skip this post--there are no pictures. You'll have to actually read).

1. I truly cannot return a library book on time. It is impossible. I've accrued fines at all the libraries in the vicinity and when we lived in Colorado I had to stop going to the library so as to avoid paying my astronomically high fine.
2. Another thing I simply cannot do is get ice out of the freezer without dropping some on the floor. Every time, I drop a piece or two and it shatters all over the floor, making a liquid mess!
3. Every night when going to bed, I take a new glass of water, without ever removing the old glass. My bedside table is riddled with glasses of half-filled water. Josh always claims that he can tell which day of the week it is by how many glasses I have on my bedside table. Of course, on cleaning days, I return the glasses to the kitchen. But it takes at least three trips.
4. I just may be addicted to television. I do love television. And babies don't help. I feel newborns are just more bearable with television--the constant nursing is less painful while watching a good show; the late bedtime seems earlier with a good show; the bouncing and rocking and bouncing and rocking to sleep is less tedious with a good show, etc., etc. Some of my recent favorites: The Good Wife, Friday Night Lights, anything Masterpiece Theater and The Good Guys (just to name a few).
5. I'm still wearing my maternity pants. Even my fat pants don't fit. I just don't want to buy new jeans. I want to wear my old jeans. It's a little disheartening. By week 4 with Will I was back in my pants. And by month 3? I'd lost all my baby weight. Currently, I still have 15 lbs. to go and I only gained 30.
6. At 2.5 months old Lucy was officially sleep-trained. I guess 10 weeks is my breaking point, because that is when I let Will cry it out, too. This time around was much easier--12 minutes one night and she was done. Now I just rock her, sing her one song and plop her in her crib (lovingly, of course). Usually there are no tears, but sometimes there are a few. Doesn't mean she's now a fantastic sleeper (though she is much better). But it does mean that I've regained half my life back. The getting the baby to sleep and to STAY asleep process was just getting far too taxing. Is it bad to say that I love my babies much more once they're sleep-trained?

There it is folks, a few of my deep, dark secrets. On paper, they are pretty boring. But let's be honest, I'm not that exciting. I'm a mother of two who either reeks of poo or breast milk. But, of course, I wouldn't have it any other way (well, maybe I wouldn't mind smelling like roses every now and again).

6 comments:

Cameron Spear said...

A lot of libraries allow you to check out books via your Kindle. Just get a Kindle and no more late fees! Books will be returned automatically; it's a great investment. Also there are many books for < $5 on Amazon.

Come on Jessy, everyone in the family's doing it! Katie got a Kindle for Christmas, dad got the Kindle Fire, and Kirt's always reading books on his iPad via the Kindle app.

ShelbySpear said...

I don't go to the library anymore because I never remember to return the books. I'm probably on their black list of sorts.

JerzyGrl said...

I'm so glad to hear your secrets are very similar to mine!! Isn't it the best once they are sleeping more! It is amazing how much more manageable things seem. I'm with you on the weight loss - it is taking me longer this time and I wore my maternity clothes for quite a while after! I'm finally within 5 lbs of my pre-baby weight. You will get there, it's just a bit harder with two!

Victoria Blanchard said...

4. You are so right about tv and newborns. I actually don't like tv much, but I think it serves a divine purpose of distraction when I'm sick or have a suckling infant. So glad we had cable in our apt when I had K. Lived on TLC, HGTV, and food network. We're trying to figure out if we're going to go Netflix or something when E comes.
5. Keep in mind that with K I gained 53 pounds and 3 months out had probably only lost 18 (most of that was probably "easy" water weight as opposed to fat because I was so ridiculously swollen even in the week after K came). So it could be worse! It ended up all coming off (after 15 months), plus some (4 more months), but I didn't have much of a chance before the 6 month mark because nursing made me so ravenously hungry. And ridiculously sleep deprived. For me the weight loss became more consistent and realistic after that 6 month point.
6. Hoping I can pull that off with E in a few months!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

i too take a fresh glass of water to bed every night! i also love TV when theres a newborn around. it would make for really long nights without it.

Jeff and Erika Mitchell said...

I'm with Cam...you need a kindle. Thanks for sharing your dirty little secrets! Your blog is so fun to read.