Monday, January 7, 2008

The Holiday Armadillo!

We had a lovely, wonderful, relaxing and low-key holiday celebration, complete with NO PICTURES! Shocking, I know, but our camera battery died, so I will just have to describe it all in such vivid detail that it will be like a picture in your head. Since I was not willing to fork over thousands of dollars for a day-long plane trip that would leave me crippled from intense discomfort, Josh and I decided to just hang out back East for the Holidays, traveling to his brother Nate's house in Vermont. And, since Josh is trying to save up all his vacation days for when Little Willy comes, we were only there for a few short days. However, in those few short days we sure had a grand time. Here are the highlights:

  • SLEDDING. Yes, even I ventured down the hill, screaming like a school-girl the entire way, mind you. The hill: not so big. The tuber (me): oh, so big. The screams: even BIGGER. The walk back up the slopes: the biggest of all. I guess you know pregnancy has taken its toll when you need to be pulled back UP the wimpy sledding hill. At least I had company; little Beth wouldn't walk back up the hill either. Then again, she IS just three. (I actually did walk up the hill, taking many breaks on the way up and huffing and puffing the whole way. I'm not sure anyone COULD have pulled me at this point).
  • EATING. Of course we ate. And then we ate and ate and ate some more. The best part about this eating, though, was WHAT we ate. On Saturday morning, Amy and I decided to head to COSTCO (crazy, on the Saturday before Christmas) and get all the fixins' for a grand Christmas meal: turkey, stuffing, corn, rolls, etc. For Christmas Eve we thought we'd just go out to a fancy restaurant. Well, then we realized we were poor, thus the restaurant was out, and thus for Christmas Eve dinner we had quite the random smorgasbord: 'Lil Smokies, chips and dip, Casear salad, peanut-noodle salad, stir-fry and yummy homemade French Onion soup. And boy was it tasty. So tasty that guess what we decided to have for Christmas dinner? LEFTOVERS! Yes, round two was just as good as round one and oh, so little effort, which both us wives (being preggo) delighted in.
  • SINGING. Who was singing? Why, Little Beth, of course! Every morning at around 8:00, we were awoken by the beautiful voice of Beth, singing at the TOP of her lungs, "Glo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ria, in every day-o" over and over and over again. Since we were all comfy in our warm beds and she seemed content in her crib, we just let her sing and sing. And don't worry if you're thinking she didn't get enough singing. When she woke up from her nap, she sang some more and, of course, she sang the same thing. It's a good thing she has such a sterling voice.
  • WATCHING. We watched many a good show from "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (I got that for Joshy for Christmas) to "Christmas Vacation", but the best thing we watched was Beth opening all our Christmas presents. Since it was just the five of us and since, as stated above, we are all poor, there really weren't a whole lot of presents to be opened. However, it took us quite a long time to open the presents since we let Beth open every one of them. Of course, we made her stand in front of the person receiving the gift so they could watch, but on the whole, she opened them all and, of course, she LOVED it! Baby Willy had quite a few presents under the tree and she loved opening those as well. I do love Christmas with kids. So, entertaining!

Well, folks, there you have it. Our Christmas 2007 summed up in vivid detail. I'm sure that my expert writing created such a vision in your mind's eye that it was BETTER than pictures. Though Nate and Amy never read this blog, we'll send a shout out to them anyway, saying thanks for a grand Christmas vacation. Fun was had by all....

P.S. Our New Year's was fun, too, spent in Conneticut with the Palmers--even if we did get caught in a snow storm and it took us four hours to get home. We did have fun, though, playing in the Andros/Palmer family Olympics (which, no matter what anyone else says, Josh and I won), eating, (ironically enough, 'Lil Smokies and chips and dip), and playing with their cute, cute kids. Thanks, Palmers!

4 comments:

The Pyper Fam said...

Wait---you Jessy, didn't take any pictures??? I'm shocked! As I read your blog, I could literally taste little wieners... oh wait, its because I've been eating little wieners all week that I could taste them. It was one of the foods served at Kaylas reception (classy, I know) and there were so many leftovers, we've been eating them all week. Anyway, I'm glad that you had a nice low key Christmas, that is what the holidays should be all about, relaxing and getting a break. When we got home from Alabama I felt like I needed a vacation! One question though, what is the holiday armadillo? Oh, I almost forgot, check out my blog I have something especially for you that I have been forgetting about! :) hehehe

The Pyper Fam said...

Wait---you Jessy, didn't take any pictures??? I'm shocked! As I read your blog, I could literally taste little wieners... oh wait, its because I've been eating little wieners all week that I could taste them. It was one of the foods served at Kaylas reception (classy, I know) and there were so many leftovers, we've been eating them all week. Anyway, I'm glad that you had a nice low key Christmas, that is what the holidays should be all about, relaxing and getting a break. When we got home from Alabama I felt like I needed a vacation! One question though, what is the holiday armadillo? Oh, I almost forgot, check out my blog I have something especially for you that I have been forgetting about! :) hehehe

The Pyper Fam said...

OK, I always accidentaly push enter, then also 'publish your post' so it does it twice! oops.

Megan said...

If anyone could get me to picture their christmas without pictures it'd have to be you Jessy. I still can't believe how many times you at little wieners in one week though. Reed would be jealous. :)