Saturday, October 4, 2008

Apple Picking with a Snot-nosed Boy

Ahhh, finally: no rain and a beautiful sunshiny day, if a tad chilly--time to go apple picking. Such a quaint, charming fall activity and we've been dying for all this rain to stop so we could head out for our annual apple picking. And I'm not really sure what we love more, hunting for the perfect apple (every year we forget which ones we liked best) or munching on the apple cider donuts and sipping the fresh apple cider at the end. This year, I think my favorite moment was Will with the perfectly clean farm animals (I need to believe that they are clean, especially since I, too, was licked by those pristine animals). Love, love, love it. I think I am going to have to go back during the week so Will can play with the animals again. Plus, we have enough apples to last us 'til spring. Yum, yum, yummy!
He loves riding in the backpack. It lulls him to sleep, so in most of these pictures it took great effort for him to keep his eyes open. And can anyone please tell me how I can get rid of this poor kid's runny nose??? He got sick like a month ago, but the runny nose never left. Will my child just have a perpetual runny nose? Lovely.
Will and Dada trying oh so hard to get that perfect apple. Such hard work, right?
Chillin'.
Yes, I was there, too, and I got to get on the ladder to get the picked-over McIntoshes.
Oh, we convinced the peanut to smile a little (don't you love his little hat? It has a bill that I had to flip back so we could see his face, but it really is quite a precious hat).
Look it's a goat and a sheep. Will isn't so sure, though.
Here he is as an apple!
Petting the animals.
Okay, so feeding goats is so very ticklish! I couldn't stop laughing when that little ol' billy goat licked the food out of my hand.
P.S. For the record, and so I can remember for next year, my favorite apples are Honeycrisp. The name says it all: sweet like honey and nice and crispy.

11 comments:

jess said...

looks like so much fun! i think we are about to bypass fall here in rexburg and head straight into winter... boo!!

The Pyper Fam said...

Oh so very much fun! Are they as good as Washington Apples??? Oh how I love the Fall! I love that picture of Josh and Will by the apple tree, your little peanut has the cutest smile! Oh and thanks for the shout out in the last post! Those pictures are so cute of your little Mad fam! :) And you know me so well, oh how you know me so well! :) PS, I hate dirty nasty farm animals, so I am impressed that you even let little Will so close! :) Did you get that last e-mail from me with the link to the album? I hope so!

Lauren said...

I LOVE honeycrisp apples to. They are my favorite. They are so expensive at the grocery store, but I don't care because they are only around for such a short time. P.S. You're family is so cute!

Cookie, Jason, Olivia, and Mya said...

Looks like fun fun. I take back ever saying Will looked Josh. He looks just like you in those pix. Not that he could go wrong having such good looking parents. You need to come visit and we'll take the kids to farm country. Last time we went the baby cow licked Olivia's whole are. Gross. But it made her laugh really hard.

Anonymous said...

I love the apple picking and pumpkin patches. All the kids are in soccer so we haven't had a free Saturday to pick. We are hoping for some early games, so we can go up to Greenbluff in the afternoon.
Looks like you had a good time! Love the pics. of Josh and Will.

bluestocking mama said...

ooo, honeycrisp was always my favorite too! oh how i miss apple-picking [a.k.a. over-eating apple doughnuts] (sigh, sob, sob)

Rosie Moncrief said...

I love apple picking! I used to go with my mom all the time in spokane! And I love the family photos! They turned out great!

Ryan and Angela said...

Will is so cute. I love the apple picking pictures. We went peach picking and I forgot my camera. It was such a sad day to miss my cute boys in the tall grass eating peaches.

Danalin said...

Now who's jealous?! Me, that's who. I have fond memories of our one and only fall in NY. Plus I just wish that we lived by you so we could pack up all of our kids together and go see those animals this week. Maybe someday we WILL actually live by each other and then every comment won't have to include this pathetic pining. I'll have to give the Honeycrisp a try sometime. Love your boy and LOVE your new 'do!

Rindi said...

Oh, I love apple picking! Isn't every thing so much fun with kids? It's like, you loved the activity before, but now that you get to see it through your child's eyes it is so, so special! You guys have such a cute, happy family.

Emily said...

So fun! We did this last weekend, too. I must agree with the Honeycrisp being my favorie and they last so long! Will is as cute as ever. We really should figure out a time to meet up...