Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Easter 2011

Our Easter this year was much quieter than usual (we're accustomed to sharing it with our VT cousins, as we have for the past three years as seen here, here and here). And though we missed our cousins terribly, we did enjoy the time we had to spend together as our little family. Saturday was really quiet, with just Will and me to color Easter eggs since Josh was off at the youth temple trip (and we were stuck at home with no car on a rainy day--though we did coerce some friends into playing volleyball, at least). In fact, I had to call my mom to ask her how exactly to dye Easter eggs. Apparently, that had always been Amy's responsibility. I didn't know the ratio of water/vinegar and the directions on my box were confusing me--I guess I am no rocket scientist. My mom laughed at me and then proceeded to tell me she didn't know either--that I should just read the box. When I read the directions to her, she said she had no idea what those instructions were saying either, just to guess. So, I guess I know where I inherited my Easter-egg dying skills. Turns out we did just fine, though.



I really do love it now that Will is getting holidays: getting their meaning and purpose and getting so very excited for the celebrating. I tried hard this year, since he was old enough, to really focus on the meaning of Easter, since it has such an important message.



Now for the festivities and celebrating in picture format.


The coloring of the Easter eggs. I insisted he take his shirt off, so as not to ruin his clothes and he insisted he wear an apron, since I was wearing one (I didn't insist I take off my shirt, don't you worry).


I had to include this picture because I always tell him to "look up" when we're taking pictures because he is always looking down. I need to tell him to "look straight ahead" I guess since this is him "looking up"--and I mean really up.
Waiting on the stairs to see what the Easter bunny brought. He slept in that morning until 8 (soooo not like our Will). In fact, Josh was getting so impatient, he went in and woke Will up.

Will and his dada. Will cannot get enough of his dada.


The finding of the basket.


The showing us of every single toy. He was soooooo excited (the Easter bunny could have hid toilet paper in his basket and he would have been stoked. Such a great age. No present can disappoint).


Of course, no toy was as exciting as the opportunity to eat an entire bunny-shaped candy bar all by himself. Before breakfast.


The t-ball bat.



Josh pitching to Will, inside the house, much to my dismay. Needless to say, this here bat is now strictly an outdoor bat. I'm surprised we made it through the day without any broken furniture, limbs and/or windows.


The before-church-clad-in-new-Easter-outfit picture. I had hopes to get in a family picture, but sadly no time.


Posing with his mama.


Learning about Easter's true meaning. Here we talked about the triumphal entry, including waving some homemade palm fronds. Will thought that was pretty great. And for some reason, blogger erased my other pictures, showing Will learning about Easter and I am far too lazy to try again. Just picture Will learning of the Last Supper, the Garden of Gethsemane, the "cross on the hill" and the empty tomb and Mary. I fear he has a morbid tendency and since I am not one to think things through, I told him all about the details. Of course, he now always wants to see pictures of "the nail prints" and "the spear wound". I guess I know he's not squeamish.



How grateful I am to have the knowledge that, because of my Savior's sacrifice, I will live again. One of the Easter songs I taught Will was, "Did Jesus Really Live Again?" and I love the last line of the song, "Did Jesus really live again, after he had died? Oh, yes and so shall I!" What comforting words. I am so grateful that not only do I get to live again, but if I live right, I will get to live with my family as well (which, most days, is an exciting prospect).

0 comments: